Sunday, April 13, 2003

As I came closer, I realized that it was a string of about twenty cars, mostly filled with Arab-looking men holding large flags. My initial thought: probably another antiwar protest. (The intersection of H and 16th Street has become a favorite spot for antiwar protesters in the last few weeks.) But as I walked towards the cars, I realized this was something very different: the flags the men were waving were U.S. flags, plus an occasional pre-1991 Iraqi flag, and the men were yelling things like "Saddam is gone!" and "No more tyranny!" Yes, they were loudly celebrating the downfall of Saddam Hussein , and had smiles on their faces a mile wide. It was a remarkable sight, and I was happy to stop by the side of the road and cheer them on for a few minutes.

Things will return to normal around the White House by tomorrow. International ANSWER is convening near the White House at noon to protest the war in Iraq; their website describes the war as a "horrific unprovoked attack on Iraq [that] must be understood as one of the extreme terrorist acts of modern times." I guess somebody forgot to explain that to the Iraqis who were celebrating last night

---They're just like the French, they never learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home