Thursday, March 27, 2003

An excellent critique of the most overrated writer in America today. I confess that I am at a loss to explain Tom Friedman's vaunted reputation. He is routinely wrong in his predications, sloppy in his history, and politically biased in his assessments. I would add to this the fact that he is, quite simply, a terrible writer. His prose is choppy, pedantic, and cliche-ridden in the extreme. Frankly, I find his work excrutiating to read on a purely aesthetic level. As for the substance of his analysis, "pop sociology" is the best description i've heard so far. I think his fame derives from one thing, he writes for the NY Times and his ideas routinely prop up the assumptions and prejudices of the elitist, center-left audience that reads him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home